Lifespan is a local charity which brings ease and support to people with any life threatening illness and to the family members and friends who care for them. Those who we help are often suffering from such illnesses as cancer and Motor Neurone Disease. We recognise that this can be a very distressing time and we know by evaluation that our help can 'make a difference'.
How do we help?
Lifespan's skilled, fully qualified and insured staff can offer:
- Counselling: a chance for patients and carers to talk through difficult issues either individually or alone. Counselling provides coping mechanisms to allow people to cope with the day to day issues that may arise and can help deal with the loss of a loved one. Counselling enables people to be listened to, and explore what is important for them at this time.
- Complementary Therapies: gentle massage and Reiki to soothe, relax, and help ease difficult symptoms, offering patients and carers 'something for them'; and hypnotherapy to alleviate distressing emotional problems:
- Nutritional Advice: helping patients to explore healthy options when eating is difficult, appetite is poor or energy is low:
- A Sitting & Befriending Service: the chance for a little time out while the patient has good company and valuable emotional support;
- Bereavement Support: continued support for the family when a patient has died.
- Art Work: an opportunity to be creative in any way that is practical, meaningful, enjoyable: and specially for carers:
Is there a charge for this service?
Lifespan's care and support is provided free of charge to patients and families. In order to continue our work in this way, we are dependent on grants, donations and fundraising. Any donation, however small, is always gratefully received.